February was the first month I participated in the Foodie Penpal program created by Lindsay of The Lean Green Bean. It’s so much fun! Every month, Lindsay sends out an Excel attachment (don’t you just love it?) pairing each foodie with another. At the end of the month, each participant posts about the goodies received from your penpal. Check out the goodies I sent Kim of Living Domestically in her reveal post.
I received my first package from Chandra of The Plaid & Paisley Kitchen. She enclosed a little note that read:
Hi! I hope you enjoy your little package! As you can see I think I was in a baking mood when I bought this. This is my first time also so I hope I bought properly. The flour was just ground fresh today! I only got one pound in case you don’t have a need for it. Please enjoy and I can’t wait to see your post!!
Here’s what was in my box of goodies:
Green & Black’s – Organic Milk Chocolate Bar
Nestle Toll House – Cocoa
Marzipan – Candy Dough for Cake Decorating
Temptations by Jello – Chocolate Mousse Decadence
C & H – Pure Cane Sugar (powdered)
C & H – Pure Cane Sugar (granulated)
Wheat Montana – Fresh Ground Flour
I’m not gonna lie, I stood there for about 10 minutes just staring at all of the ingredients. Oh no, now what? The baking aisle is probably the only aisle I don’t visit in the grocery store. The only dessert I’ve ever made were chocolate chip cookies once out of a box and does that even count? After consulting with my fellow foodies on Twitter, I decided to attempt brownies. Thanks for the simple idea Molly!
My best friend came over with her mom’s recipe and we got down to business! Well, she got down to business. My job consisted of hand feeding her jalapeno poppers while she beat the heck out of those eggs! The brownies turned out absolutely AMAZING! One friend even asked if they were made from heaven! I was so proud of my recipe reading skills. Thanks to Chandra for forcing me to step out of my comfort zone and bake something from scratch! I can’t wait to use the remaining ingredients to bake something JUST as delicious.
(Recipe by Elaine Smolic)
1 stick butter
1 stick margarine
2 unsweetened chocolate squares (2 oz. total)
2 C. sugar
1 C. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
Melt margarine, butter & chocolate in small sauce pan. Set aside to cool. Beat eggs until thick & light. Beat in sugar. Add cooled chocolate mixture. Add vanilla. Mix flour, baking powder & salt. Fold flour mixture into chocolate mixture. Pour into well greased 9”x13” pan. Bake @ 350° for 25-30 minutes.
Never Fail Frosting
(Recipe by Elaine Smolic)
3 tbsp. cocoa (unsweetened)
3 tbsp. milk
3/4 C. sugar
1 stick + 7 tbsp. margarine
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Combine all ingredients except vanilla in small sauce pan and bring to boil stirring slowly. Boil one minute. Remove from heat and beat cool. (Will cool faster by beating in bowl of ice water). Add vanilla. Frost cooled brownies and refrigerate several hours or over night for ease in cutting. Serve @ room temperature.
Wanna become a Foodie Penpal? Read about it below and sign up!
And don’t worry… if you don’t have a blog, you can still sign up and write a guest post on mine
- On the 5th of every month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
- You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
- The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe… use your imagination!
- You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
- Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you are to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.
- Foodie Penplas is open to US & Canadian residents. Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. We’ve determined things might get too slow and backed up if we’re trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa. So, I’m going to keep two separate lists and match US w/ US and Canada w/ Canada!
If you’re interested in participating for March, please send an email to Lindsay at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- Your full name
- Your email address
- Your blog name/address
- Your twitter handle (if applicable)
- WHETHER YOU ARE A US RESIDENT OR CANADIAN RESIDENT. – this is SUPER important so you get on the right list!
You must submit your information by March 4th as pairings will be emailed on March 5th!